Treasure Hunt in Golden
The Golden Glass Orb Hunt is a new event in Golden this year. During the month of September, we will place a glass orb somewhere in the city each day for thirty days, one for each day of the month. Three artisans handcrafted these one-of-a-kind glass orbs for Golden visitors to find and keep.
Each orb is marked with a special tag and instructions for treasure finders to register their orb at the Foothills Art Center where they will receive a certificate of authenticity. Foothills Art Center is open Mondays – Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Sundays: 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Once you register your orb, you will have the opportunity to enter a drawing to win a $200 gift card to a Golden business of your choosing (odds are 1/30).
The Hunt Time Frame
SEPTEMBER 1, 2017 – SEPTEMBER 30, 2017
Starting on September 1, 2017 an orb will be placed somewhere in Golden city limits each day for thirty days (one for each day of the month).
- Placement of the orbs will occur by 9:00 a.m. each day.
- If the orb has not yet been found by 1:00 p.m. each day, the Foothills Art Center will post a clue just inside their front entrance.
- If the orb has not yet been found by 3:00 p.m. each day after the clue has been posted at Foothills Art Center, the orb will remain hidden and the same clue will also be shared on social media as an Instagram Story on the @VisitGoldenCO and @FoothillsArtCenter Instagram accounts.
- Once an orb is found and registered, Visit Golden and Foothills Art Center will conclude each day’s hunt by sharing a photo of the orb through an Instagram Story on the @VisitGoldenCO and @FoothillsArtCenter Instagram accounts.
The winner of the $200 gift card drawing will be drawn and announced on October 2, 2017.
- Orbs can be found anywhere within golden city limits that is a public area, you can view the map here: http://maps.cityofgolden.net/ (city is highlighted in purple). You won’t find them on private property, a driving range, in the creek, the middle of an established trail, and other places that would be unsafe for hunters.
- Finders keepers.
- Treasure finders should register their orb at the Foothills Art Center where they will receive a certificate of authenticity. Foothills Art Center is open Mondays – Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Sundays: 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Once you register your orb, you can enter a drawing to win a $200 gift card to a Golden business of your choosing.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL HUNT
- We want these orbs to be found so remember to look in obvious spots.
- Orbs are placed outdoors rain or shine.
The 2017 Glass Artists
Dottie Boscamp: Owner and artist behind Glass Rocks a studio in Fort Collins, CO. Dottie’s glass ornaments will also be available for purchase at this year’s Holiday Art Market at Foothills Art Center. One of her more remarkable glass pieces is seen at New Belgium Brewery on their famous tour.
Marcie Miller: This local artist was born and raised in Golden, but has traveled widely, even living for a few years in Hawaii, home of Pele, the goddess of fire. She says there’s a symmetry in blowing glass on an island with a live volcano, but in the end her paradise is here in Colorado.
Angelo Ambrosia: After several years of living and working on various large public art projects in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Angelo Ambrosia moved to Longmont, Colorado where he discovered the art of glassblowing which has been his passion ever since. Angelo believes that quality art, both functional and sculptural should reflect emotion, creativity and craftsmanship.
Share Photos of Your Find
If you find an orb be sure to show it off! Snap a picture of the treasure and where you found it and share it to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with #goldenglassorbhunt. Be sure to follow Visit Golden’s social media @VisitGoldenCO and Foothills Art Center at @foothillsartcenter to see posts on the hunt.