THE NEIGHBORHOODS OF
GOLDEN

HISTORIC NEIGHBORHOODS OF GOLDEN

HISTORIC NEIGHBORHOODS OF GOLDEN

Golden was the original territorial capital of Colorado and a hub of activity in the late 1800’s. Gold seekers started arriving in 1858, and Golden City was founded in 1859. It became a supply hub for miners who panned for gold in Clear Creek. With all the activity, visitors began to plant roots and create neighborhoods. Golden has eight historic neighborhoods for visitors to explore.

Downtown

Downtown is the historic heart of Golden. It possesses some of Colorado’s oldest buildings and has institutions dating back well over a century. With buildings spanning all decades of its existence, the downtown features Victorian to Modern brick storefronts of various styles lining Washing Avenue and individual landmarks such as the Armory and Calvary Church. Seven downtown buildings are listed on the National Historic Register.

12th Street Historic District

The Twelfth Street Historic District includes intact homes representative of the type of homes built by Colorado’s pioneer entrepreneurs. Walking tour markers identify homes. The Twelfth Street Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has the city’s best preserved historic homes.

8th and 9th Street Historic District

The district is centered around the 9th Street neighborhood, originally known as Garrison Street. It was a middle-class, blue-collar industrial neighborhood which began in 1859. The neighborhood once included the Golden Pressed & Fire Brick Works, Rock Flour Mills, and Golden Paper Mills, the only paper mill west of Missouri for many years. The neighborhood has many small to moderate sized single family home made of brick and wood, built in the economical style of their time.

Take a virtual walking tour of the 8th and 9th Street Historic District.

East Street Historic District

The East Street neighborhood was historically known as South Ford Street and is one of the oldest residential areas of Golden. Homes of prominent merchants mixed with middle-class dwellers made up its north side while historic farmhouses, neighborhood business buildings and many of Golden’s earliest postwar subdivision homes further south.

Colorado School of Mines

CSM was the first Colorado public institution of higher learning and was established to serve the local mining industry. In 1873, the school opened the first building in the school’s present location. The campus features beautifully renovated historical architecture as well as award-winning new buildings.

  • anemptytextlline
  • anemptytextlline
  • anemptytextlline
  • anemptytextlline
X